Sturgis Rally Travel Information FAQ
- Where can I find information relating to temporary road closures? www.sd511.org
- Where can I find road construction information? www.sd511.org
- How do I find out if I can travel through tribal lands with COVID-19 restrictions? Tribal Checkpoints.pdf
*The Pine Ridge Tribe is still operating checkpoints. Through travel is allowed on the reservation. They are restricting travel to those making unnecessary stops.
*No current checkpoints on the Cheyenne River Sioux Reservation
- What amenities are offered at interstate rest stops? View Here
- What roadways have reduced speed limits or temporary traffic signals? View Below
Speed limits are reduced on the following highways:
- Interstate 90 speed limit will be reduced from 75 mph to 65 mph from west of Exit 55 (Deadwood Avenue) in Rapid City to west of Exit 30 (Lazelle Street) in Sturgis.
- SD 34 speed limit will be reduced from 45 mph to 35 mph from Blanche Street in Sturgis east 3.8 miles (east of Buffalo Chip).
- SD 79 speed limit will be reduced from 65 mph to 45 mph from the junction of SD 34 north 1.75 miles (north of Iron Horse Campground) and from 0.05 mile south of the intersection with Bighorn Rd north 0.8 mile (near Full Throttle Saloon and Drag Pipe Saloon approaches).
*The reduced speed limits will be in effect from the Thursday preceding the first Friday in August to the second Sunday after the first Friday in August (August 5th – August 15th, 2021).
Temporary traffic signals will be installed at the following locations:
- Junction of S.D. Highway 34/79 and Ft. Meade main entrance
- Junction of S.D. Highway 34 and S.D. Highway 79 east of Sturgis
- Junction of S.D. Highway 34 and Ft. Meade Way
- Junction of S.D. Highway 44 and U.S. Highway 385
- Junction of U.S. Highway 16 and U.S. Highway 385
- S.D. Highway 34/79 and 11th Street
- I-90 Exit 32 WB ramp
- I-90 Exit 55 EB ramp
- I-90 Exit 32 EB ramp
- S.D. Highway 34/79 and Glencoe Drive
- S.D. Highway 34/79 and Nellie Avenue
Rally Traffic Counts:
View the last 10 years of traffic count data
Traffic at the 9 locations entering Sturgis
Friday, August 6th: 55,326 entering – up 11.0% from Friday last year
Saturday, August 7th: 67,482 entering – up 23.1% from Saturday last year
Sunday, August 8th: 65,771 entering – up 17.1 % from Sunday last year
Monday, August 9th: 64,158 entering - up 12.6% from Monday last year
Tuesday, August 10th: 60,626 entering - up 15.0% from Tuesday last year
Wednesday, August 11th: 57,675 entering - up 17.2% from Wednesday last year
Thursday, August 12th: 52,235 entering - up 12.9% from Thursday last year
Friday, August 13th: 46,431 entering - up 8.8% from Friday last year
Saturday, August 14th: 34,683 entering - up 6.9% from Saturday last year
Sunday, August 15th: 21,381 entering - up 1.5% from Sunday last year
10 Day Total:
2021: 525,768 Vehicles 2020: 462,182 Vehicles
Keloland Story: How do traffic counters work at the Sturgis Rally?
Hear from our SDDOT Staff at the TOC in Sturgis: