SDDOT’s SD511 Traveler Information System informs travelers, law enforcement, emergency responders, and highway maintenance personnel of conditions that affect travel. Its main purpose is to help the public make well-informed travel decisions. SD511 information includes:
• Weather conditions and forecasts
• Observed winter road conditions and closures, reported by SDDOT maintenance forces
• Potentially worsening road conditions, predicted from weather forecasts
• Roadway images from 151 roadside cameras
• National Weather Service alerts
• Emergencies and incidents affecting traffic flow
• Special events affecting traffic flow
• Construction and maintenance work zones reported by SDDOT forces
• Commercial vehicle restrictions
• Floodgate messages to convey specific or unique situations. This allows a longer message with more detail to be pushed to individual routes or statewide.
• Travel advisories and closures for participating Counties and Tribes in development.
SDDOT maintenance and construction forces feed winter road reports and road work information into the traveler information system through the Roadway Management System (RMS). Both SD511 and the RMS are provided by Iteris, Inc.
• Dial 511: Users can reach the phone-based 511 system by dialing 5-1-1 on mobile and landline phones throughout South Dakota. From outside the state, the system can be reached at 1-866-MYSD511 (1- 866-697-3511).
• 511 Website: The full-featured SD511 website at https:// www.sd511.org/ provides the same information in graphical and textual form on any modern web browser.
• 511 Mobile Apps: Android and iOS (Apple) mobile applications are available free from their respective app stores.
• My511SD Travel Alerts: Users can subscribe at the https://www.sd511.org/ website to receive free text and email alerts for road closures, no travel advisories, flooding, and other significant events at specific locations and times of interest to them.
• Rest Area and Port of Entry Kiosks: As of 2021 the SDDOT has been installing kiosks that display travel information at Interstate highway rest areas and commercial vehicle ports of entry.
• County and Tribal Travel Advisories and Conditions: SDDOT is working with counties and tribes that desire to post travel advisories or closures on the State SD511 system. The logistics and system capabilities are currently in the development phase with an implementation planned for early winter.
Sign up for customized notifications on SD511!
Simply head to the SD511 webpage (signup not available on mobile app) and click on "Get Notifications" to create an account and begin our free service that allows you to receive text messages and/or email notifications about road closures and travel advisories along routes of your choice. These notifications will also be activated as push notifications on your mobile device if you would like.
Follow the steps below:
Go to sd511.org to get started.
Click "Get Notifications" to start your account setup. Enter your email and select "Create Account"
Enter your information, click "Create my account" then verify your account through your email.
Select your preferred notification method (Text or Email or both) and then select the locations you are interested in receiving notifications on.
Head over to SD511.org to sign up for notifications today!